Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

This post is different that my usual posts that just focus on pictures of what we've been up to. Just been thinking a lot of about this and thought I'd share with the two or so of you that read this. :) 

I love Mother's Day. I read several articles/blog posts/etc. this year from moms who talked about how much they hate Mother's Day. How it's a "Hallmark holiday" or how "selfish" it makes them. Or better yet, how Mother's Day made them feel "guilty" because apparently on that particular day they compare themselves to other moms who are *seemingly* doing a better job. I read and re-read these posts trying to understand this point of view and still walked away befuddled. Nobody is going to accuse me of being the most positive person on the planet, but come on, this just reeks of negativity. First of all, Hallmark did not invent mothers or motherhood. Second, so what if you are selfish for one day? I mean, who wants to do all of the thankless things that moms do all of the time anyway, but we manage to do it the other 364 days out of the year just fine. And lastly, this whole "feeling guilty" thing. This I understand because all mothers do it. We feel like we don't do enough or just don't know what to do. We feel like we should do everything right all the time, and we know we don't. What I don't understand it feeling guilty on Mother's Day. On a day that you should able to celebrate everything that you are doing right. On a day that acknowledges that moms have a hard job. On a day that people around you show appreciation for what you do. I mean, why would you hate that?! Let's be honest....it's probably not going to happen again for another year! I have to say that Mother's Day this year was one of my most favorite days in a long time. Not because everything revolved around me, because it didn't. Not because I got a bunch of material possession, because I didn't. Not because my kids acted like perfect angels, because they didn't. It was perfect because I felt good about my family. Oh, and because I didn't have to cook. That never hurts.

Breakfast in bed!

Love these people!



No comments:

Post a Comment